The Hot Cars: 45 Metro Cars With No A/C | News
WASHINGTON, D.C. (WUSA) -- Going underground may seem ideal on a day that's pushing triple digit temperatures, unless you're unlucky enough to hop on one of Metro's "hot cars."
That's what WMATA officials call the 45 to 50 metro cars currently with no air conditioning. A WMATA spokesman told 9News Now that the transit agency has expedited maintenance requests to fix the hot cars. But that's not much consolation to the many people who have to ride them, especially during rush hour.
"It's awful. Feels like you're in Tokyo, cramped like sardines," said a metro rider at the Clarendon station.
"I told my husband that if I get on one of those again, he will be picking me up from work for the rest of the summer," said another Metro rider. "It was so hot, I almost fainted."
Until all the hot cars are fixed, WMATA officials advise getting on a different car when the train stops at the next station.
Upcoming Events near Arlington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- COMMUNITY ALERT: Share this Sketch to find the Alexandria killer
- Alexandria murder suspect indicted in Loudoun County
- Information sought in strangulation death of Alexandria woman
- FREE CUPCAKES AT OCCASIONALLY CAKE on SUN. JULY 20; DONATES 50% to METROPOLITAN SCHOOL of the ARTS
- DC judge orders continued detention for terror suspect
- Total Recovery Offers a Game-Changing Look at the Way We View and Treat Chronic Pain and Depression
- The Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine Welcomes Acupuncturist Rebecca Berkson!
- Students switched to another bus after wire touches bus
- Dulles Toll Road rates set to increase 75 cents
- Woman injured, 6 cats dead after McLean fire