National PTA Grant to Fund Barrett Book Club | News
From Arlington Public Schools:
Barrett Elementary School received a $1,000 grant from the National Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) for its National Take Your Family to School Week. The PTA Take Your Family to School Week will be held Feb. 12–18 with the purpose of expanding and enhancing family engagement in schools across the country.The grant will be used to start the new and innovative Barrett Family Book Clubs. The Barrett PTA hopes that by being in smaller groups, students will become more engaged in reading. “The PTA decided to use the funds to start the Barrett Family Book Clubs as a strategy to engage children and their families in literacy,” said PTA president Samara Weinstein. “We think this is an exciting and innovative way for children and families to bond and spend some quality time together as well as to move children beyond regular reading assignments to become more engaged readers.”
Students will be put into smaller groups to read different books about Asian culture. Students will read books by author Grace Lin who visited the school in November. During her visit, she introduced students to her work which provide readers with an insightful perspective into the Asian-American culture and its traditions. Students will also read the new Alvin Ho book about a Chinese-American boy and his anxieties.
Other books selected include:
· Dumpling Days by Grace Lin
· The Year of the Rat by Grace Lin
· Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same by Grace Lin
· Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin
· Bringing in the New Year by Grace Lin
· Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances by Lenore Look
Barrett will kick-off the grant at the school's Family Library Night on Tue, Jan. 17 with a Lunar New Year celebration. In addition to reading stories about the Lunar New Year and providing students with their first book for this program, students and their families will participate in creating the World's Largest Chinese Dragon made from recycled materials.
Upcoming Events near Arlington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Total Recovery Offers a Game-Changing Look at the Way We View and Treat Chronic Pain and Depression
- The Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine Welcomes Acupuncturist Rebecca Berkson!
- Students switched to another bus after wire touches bus
- Dulles Toll Road rates set to increase 75 cents
- Woman injured, 6 cats dead after McLean fire