USS Arlington arrives at Virginia on Friday | News
NORFOLK, Va. (WUSA9) -- The USS Arlington will arrive on Friday at Norfolk pier, greeted by more than 30 Arlington County, Va. and Pentagon first responders.
The ship was named in memory of the 184 responders and victims that died on the morning of September 11, 2001, according to a press release by the Naval Surface Force, Atlantic.
"The first responders have been tremendously supportive throughout the last two years" the ship's Commanding Officer, Cmdr. Darren Nelson said.
"The newest addition to the fleet, Arlington and its crew are a tangible tribute to honor the victims, heroes, and survivors. Her strength and fortitude is not only reflected in the ship's crest and motto, but in the fact that her determined crew of 400 Sailors and Marines have worked diligently to ensure she is ready to execute the mission of the Navy, representing America - and Arlington County, around the world," they said in the press release.
Upcoming Events near Arlington
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Total Recovery Offers a Game-Changing Look at the Way We View and Treat Chronic Pain and Depression
- The Kaplan Center for Integrative Medicine Welcomes Acupuncturist Rebecca Berkson!
- Students switched to another bus after wire touches bus
- Dulles Toll Road rates set to increase 75 cents
- Woman injured, 6 cats dead after McLean fire